It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Back from the past
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:10 am 

Used to be a member ages ago, cant remember my username, back in a MK5 Golf GTI, so thought it was time to get in amongst it.

Had an absolute headache since buying the car in December, looked great on paper 70k, FVWSH, MOT'd December, certain the MOT was done by someones mate, put the car into VW to get the DSG service done and was told the car needed around £2,000 of repairs.

Anyway, almost there, concentrating on getting the car mechanically sound, have done some minor things, mostly trying to get the paintwork into a semi decent condition, and some minor updates of the trim etc.

This is how it stood:

One of the first things I soon realised were the front tyres were needing replaced, went for a couple of Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance as blackcircles were doing a good deal on them £82 fitted per tyre.

Not even 2 weeks later this happened...

Had a complete failure of one of the brand new tyres on a very narrow overpass sliproad at 40mph, ended up doing a 180 before coming to a stop, what didn't help was there was no ESP, or ABS as the wheel bern had went that week and automatically trips these systems, how I never hit anything, I'll never know but managed to keep as much control as I could.

After the tyre situation was sorted (Dunlop accepted the tyre was faulty), the car was booked in for some privacy glass on the rear, making it a bit more modern looking IMO.

Renewed the interior door trims (very worn), headlight switch, and all interior door switches:

The car was then booked into VW as the DSG oil hadn't been serviced in nearly 4 years, £180 lighter, it was done! That's where the problems began.. I had owned the car 2 months and was told, I needed a full service, a new CV boot, new rear spring (this was broken), when bearing (on the opposite side), 2 front bushes, then the rear wiper fell off leaving the annoying metal centre!

Anywayyyyy, most of the above has now been sorted, just waiting on my mate returning from offshore to finish a few pieces, also replaced the DV with a revision D and the car is a million times more responsive.

Next to tackle was the horrible discoloured headlights, while I would love to replace them, its just not a priority just now, so it was tackled with Meguiars headlight restore kit, before/after:

Now the bodywork, Ive been doing it bit by bit, giving the car a good few washes I was instantly seeing a difference in the paint (using meguiars orange) This was my first time using a DA, but I'm more than pleased with the result:

Also managed to pick up a couple of refurbished 18" Monza II reps last night for £99 on ebay, this will allow me to send the original wheels away 2 by 2 to be refurbished, while still allowing me use of the car

Currently:

Post subject: Re: Back from the past
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:55 am 

Drives: pee pee Daily, Mk3 VR6 & Vlompact
We come along.
Nice looking golf, did you buy the car from a dealer?
I would have ben straight back there if so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am 
Crew

Drives: BMW 330 Clubsport and Bora TDI winter hack
Welcome back.

Cars looking well now, not so good you've had such a bumpy road getting to where it is now tho.

In a way you were lucky that tyre never turned you a 360 on the motorway tho. I had a tyre blow out going round a corner at 80 in a 309 GTI about 20 years ago, slight fright to say the least.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:40 am 

Andymk312v wrote:
We come along.

It was a small dealer in Leeds, I got onto them and they passed the buck to the MOT station saying it was nothing to do with them. I was so (naughty swear) off, plus I'd just spent £180 getting a DSG service that I just decided to keep the car, and just spend the money putting it right. It's a great car now, this is my 3rd so I should have known better what to look for, problem was it was all stuff you would have had to get properly under the car to see.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:43 am 

Hawk wrote:
Welcome back.

Cars looking well now, not so good you've had such a bumpy road getting to where it is now tho.

In a way you were lucky that tyre never turned you a 360 on the motorway tho. I had a tyre blow out going round a corner at 80 in a 309 GTI about 20 years ago, slight fright to say the least.

Cheers mate, happy with progress, but I'm down a fair few quid, however now I know the cars proper, and has had everything done that its needed!

I will never buy another Dunlop again, I bought through black circles, they said they would replace the tyre free of charge, but in the case it was determined I was at fault, I would be charged. I have never heard back from blackcircles, however I had bought 2 tyres at the same time and still not comfortable driving with 1 which may be faulty.

And trust me, at 40mph I still nearly skidded my pants :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:04 pm 

Drives: pee pee Daily, Mk3 VR6 & Vlompact
glasgowdubber wrote:
Andymk312v wrote:
We come along.

It was a small dealer in Leeds, I got onto them and they passed the buck to the MOT station saying it was nothing to do with them. I was so (naughty swear) off, plus I'd just spent £180 getting a DSG service that I just decided to keep the car, and just spend the money putting it right. It's a great car now, this is my 3rd so I should have known better what to look for, problem was it was all stuff you would have had to get properly under the car to see.

Sometimes better just to take it on the chin, and as you say now you know the cars good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:04 pm 

Drives: vee dubs
Looking good now fella.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:37 pm 
Crew

Drives: Oak Green 8v. Wifes Mk6 Golf Cab.
Looks great now. Welcome back.