It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:28 am 

Drives: Naff all.
Hey everyone.

You are probably all thinking, why the hell would you want to do this ? But it's simple really; I'm considering getting a cheap Golf mk4 4motion just as a runaround. As I'd really just be using it as a cheap workhorse and a bit of fun, I'd have no interest in spending £££ on it, particularly if the haldex went bang, which I know to be a costly repair.

So, as per my topic heading, how easily/cheaply could this be done ?

Thanks in advance folks :rthumb:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:19 am 

sure if you pull a fuse it runs front wheel drive only :rthumb: oh and I have a 4 motion for sale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:03 am 

They run fwd anyway and the haldex only kicks in if you lose grip. If it's not working it just stays fwd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:51 pm 

Drives: Naff all.
Got a link Barry ?

I've read conflicting information online regarding the fuse. Some people say it works, some say it doesn't.

So let me get this straight - under normal driving conditions, they run FWD only ? That confuses me a wee bit, as I'd also read somewhere that a VR6 trounces the 4motion from a rolling start, as the 4motion loses so much power through the drivetrain. Surely with 200bhp and running FWD there wouldn't be anything in it ? Not that I'm a racer or anything. It's just that I miss my VR6's and would love something similar, but getting one that's not falling apart and for a reasonable price is becoming virtually impossible. I thought a 4motion would be a good alternative, but scary haldex repair costs don't appeal, nor does the thought of less than VR6 performance.

Barry, maybe you can advise as to what they're like ? I've driven plenty of VR6's, but never a v6 4Motion.

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:15 pm 

your welcome to come try mine there is a for sale ad on here too and after owning a mk3 vr6 I would say the mk4 is far better but this is just my opinion :rthumb: and when my 1.8t 4 motion was being mapped they pulled the fuse to stick on the rolling road so it was front wheel drive only

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:49 pm 

Drives: most folk up the wall
The Haldex will be fine ??? Just make sure been serviced properly is the key to long life, look around rakes of old 4mo's , S3's , TT's all had Haldex systems all still on road if looked after, defeats the purpose of the car to make it FWD