It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:56 am 

Drives: Audi A4 Avant 170TDI Quattro Golf Mk2 GTD
Surprised there aint a thread on this new motor.
Unveiled this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35940302

Last edited by reido on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tesla model 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:45 am 

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/mode ... lease-date

Looks good on paper ect but in my cynical mind theres no way they will be selling for £30k or less over here.
Hope they do though, and it would put the skitters up other manufacturers with the likes of vw - £32k e-Golf 115mile range 0-60 13secs....or a Tesla same price, double or treble the range & 0-60 6 secs or less???
Even with my blinkered VW rose tinted petrol head specs on i tip my hat to tesla if they make this work and granted,
other manufacturers will likely have plans in the pipeline to catch up. If they dont they should...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/mode ... lease-date

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:34 am 
Forum Moderator

Price is going to be a huge thing here.

I mean, look at the Toyota...

Toyota Mirai
Toyota Mirai
Price:
$57,500 (£40,020) excl tax credits.
£66,000 in the UK incl VAT but excluding government grant.

£26k more than the US. OK, I guess there is 20% VAT, but still, it is over 50% more here.

I have been keeping an eye on some Tesla stuff. Their SUV looks great. If the price is anywhere like the US price, it could easily be my next "main" car. If you can do the majority of your driving on the cheap, it means you can go out and get a V12 for the second car and not worry, if you can find one nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:31 am 

Bang on mate, price will be everything, if its £30k before gov grants they are on to a winner(if the grants are still going by the time this is released of course) also a true mass market e car with real world usability thats affordable could be the trigger that ends those grants.
Charging infrastructure would also need to keep up, and how long will the free electric at public chargers last is another debate/point that will prove interesting.

I could easily use any of the current ecars for my daily drive to work, (35miles daily) its just the other journeys that would stop me. That and i couldnt justify £20-30k on a car thats only a commuter!
Ive read all sorts of forums on e cars and it is possible to do long distance, its just at the moment it can take about 50% longer to do them when you factor in stopping to charge ect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:24 am 
Forum Moderator

It depends on where you're going I guess. And how you break up longer journeys.

For example, if I were to drive to London. I'm 175 miles from Gretna. That should be doable on a charge. And by that time, certainly with the kids, I'll be looking to stop anyway for a while. Then 160 miles to Keele, where the next supercharger is. Then it's around another 160 miles into central London. So that's only 2 stops between my house and London.

The Superchargers give 80% charge in 30 mins, or 100% charge in 75 (approximately). With the kids with me, I'm unlikely to spend less than an hour stopped anyway. But even if they are not, 30 mins would be enough to stretch the legs, and with a estimated range of 220+ miles, the 80% charge should get me to the next supercharger (approximately 180 miles at 80%, 200 miles at 90% etc.).

The problem here is that what if someone else is using the supercharger? I stopped once at a service station with a supercharger / tesla only charger, and it wasn't in use despite the services being quite busy. But then the cars are prohibitively expensive just now. If they are then to cost little more than a Golf R, and have similar levels of performance, well, you see how many of them are kicking about. It might not be quite so easy. Unless you can "book" time with the charger in advance. Or if there is an accident that results in significant delays, or a lot of slow traffic. That time spent depleting the battery with radio / aircon / whatever could leave you short of juice for the next supercharger.

These will be the way forward, when technology catches up though. Imagine a motorway network banked with solar panels, and wireless charging built into the road. Then you would never need to stop for "fuel", only for breaks. A long way off just now, sure. But the technology is already available, so it just needs to get cheaper, and a greater uptake with the public to get governments to invest.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:01 pm 
Crew

Drives: Skoda Superb Elegance
I'd actually love one as a taxi, however I'm 3 years away from replacing current motor and I'll watch them very closely. Just means I couldn't do distance work with one.

G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:04 pm 
Crew

Drives: 9n3 GTi & 986 Boxster
Apparently price is supposed to be £35k here, but I've be skeptical of that... As for looks, it has most of today's cars beaten, I think it looks great! And the range and performance are incomparible to anything else due out too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:11 pm 

noticed charging points for these fitted in Abington services today while out and about

There's several at Grenta Welcome Break

G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:48 pm 

if they can get it down to close to 30k I will buy one no problem I only cover about 6k a year and it I need to go a long distance the occasional hire car wouldnt break the bank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:02 pm 

Just found this, the chances of me buying one new are very slim but I have been following them and it's interesting to see how the pricing goes over the next few years. I think I have got confused with the model numbers but I knew a new one was coming out and it looked like it would be cheaper than the big original one, so again I was interested.
I saw in one of the motoring papers the other day that a new model was introduced, price £90,000 :wtf: In retrospect though, it looks like it is a different vehicle, 7 seater, gullwing doors, 0-60 in 4.6 but seriously what are the UK playing at?
Anyway, on a lighter note, I don't know if anyone saw any of these videos; there are several vids so don't giveup after the first.
Well worth a look, and a dream for the future when we start worrying about global warming again, also quite funny though.
I know before anyone says there is something warped about me that would like to just take an 'out of the box' car to the Drag strip, no mods, no fuel costs and trounce the oposition that has spent thousands on their cars, I doubt i could pull off the 20 something kid look and I would need to learn to run faster as well (for when the batteries go flat) :rthumb: