It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:26 pm 

Evening folks,

I am after a bit of help/advice :-s

My car has been running like a bag of .... recently and i cant get to the bottom of the problem ~x( :(( .

First of it had been hitting limp mode quite regularly, mostly through high revs in 4th gear, throwing up a code PO229. After nights and nights of searching forums etc for the problem :-? . So firstly ran around all vaccum hoses for any leaks in the hoses and connections but all was good, i gave her a good service(oil and filter,fuel and air filters)and I replaced the N75 valve but no difference other than the MPG dropping a fair bit. But at the weekend there I then replaced mass air flow sensor, MAP sensor which has made it even worse in that there was a Severe loss of power, smoke belching out the back, guddering when higher up the revs, rough idling and MPG has dropped way down to 26-28 on the way to work today a 12 mile journey. :(( x_x

Has anyone had the same or similar problems or could any one tell me the next thing to look at? for me i was going to have a go at the EGR valve sticking open hence the smoke and loss of power. Also I had thought to have a good inspection of the intercooler and the connection hoses but cant think hoe that would explain the smoke.

Any feedback would be greatful as it is getting unbearable and starting to fall outta love with the old girl

Many thanks

J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:28 pm 

Drives: Mk4 gt tdi, lupo
Does the actuator move? Common for the vnt mech to seize

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:39 pm 

yeah i think so i sprayed it with some wd40 and looked like it had been moving after i had diven a bit but never tried it manualy. If it has seized would it be a new one or a whole turbo unit?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:02 pm 

Drives: Mk4 gt tdi, lupo
Can take turbo off car and strip and clean, should be stuff but free movement, wd won't do anything as it's the intervals which are seized

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 pm 

Chamshaft and lifters ok?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:18 am 

I wouldn't have the foggiest about the camshaft and lifters.i might have to strip the turbo and see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:26 am 

c9nrd wrote:
I wouldn't have the foggiest about the camshaft and lifters.i might have to strip the turbo and see.

You can take rocker cover off and inspect. Worth a quick check. This link will help - http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camsh ... pd-engine/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:53 pm 

Great thanks for that good article.i might have a go at that this weekend. Was hoping it to be just the egr and have it replaced. I was hoping to not have to spend more and more money on it too

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:56 pm 

sorry to drop the bad news on you but if its got boobies or wheels its going to cost you money :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:58 pm 

Haha I like that lol. The jobs jiggered from day one then lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:42 pm 
Trader

Sometimes the veins on the turbo get seized up with soot, i managed to clear my wifes using a bit of pipe and mr muscle oven cleaner for less than a fiver and a bit of time. I searched google and found a guide dor the particular car.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:13 am 

Drives: Mk4 Golf estate 1.9tdi 2000
I'd suspect you're leaking somewhere, if not a vac pipe then quite possibly the actuator for the turbo, that code is for a lack of boost. The passats have little hard plastic pipes that run round the back of the engine and can get rubbed through causing a leak. Well worth a check.

Also if not done already then get a load of 3mm silicone vac pipe off ebay and replace the lot regardless of how they look. Those cloth covered things are often knackered inside where you can't see it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:21 pm 

Drives: Bora Estate TDI ;-)
Veins normally manifests in the overboost code. X2 on vac leak or boost leak, boost leak would explain the smoke too